garsington as a Church of England School
What does it mean to be a Church of England School?
Our Christian vision and values underpin all the work that we do and is embedded into everyday school life
Our School Vision
A vibrant and happy community where everyone can believe and achieve.
The Parable of the Sower (grow and learn like the strong healthy plants) Matthew 13:1-23
Our Red Kite values are Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Determination, Kindness, Independence, Teamwork and Enrichment.
Being a Church of England school means that we:
- have a daily act of Collective Worship where we all come together to learn, reflect and pray.
- listen to stories from the Bible to help us to understand our Christian vision and values and put these into everyday practice.
- ensure that the school is led by a headteacher who is committed, with the help of staff, to establish and maintain the Christian character of the school in its day to day activities and in the curriculum.
- offer a school life that incorporates the values of the Christian faith. This includes a termly overview that links our vision and values to assemblies, Collective Worship, PSHE lessons and enrichment opportunities. Christianity is linked to our key events. For example Christianity as a world religion at International Evening, Christian art in Arts week and roles in the church as part of Aspirations Week. We also have a daily reflection and prayer space run by our Year 6 prefects as well as an inside reflection and prayer area.
- ensure that religious education is given at least 5% of school time and that the character and quality of religious education are monitored.
- observe the major Christian festivals and in schools in which other faiths are present ensure that those faiths are able and encouraged to mark their major festivals with integrity
- engage with and are supported in school work by the Diocese of Oxford https://www.oxford.anglican.org/schools
- maintain and develop an active and affirming relationship with St Mary’s Church and Ripon Theology College. Our Vicar is Reverend Karen Charman and she supports our school and governing body.